How to Contact Investors By Email

This is a great guide I put together with some tips, to do’s, what not to do’s, and approaches for you guys on how to contact investors by email.  Because it can be really frustrating when you can’t grab someone’s attention, or no investor emails you back.  So  enjoy.

Before You Contact Investors

It’s very important to have everything ready before you contact any investor.  Investors typically get over 500 emails a day, and probably won’t remember you the next day.  So if you got him/her on the hook, you need to respond immediately.  Have your powerpoint, one page summary, and complete 5 year financial projections ready.  The financial projections are where you need to spend a good amount of time, since all investments are a financial transaction.  EZ Numbers has a great tool for this issue, it will factor in your taxes, revenue, expenses, investor reports, founder’s equity, breakeven, etc.

check over your financials a couple times (just one salary or tax miscalculation can throw off your profit margin to where it won’t work for an investor!)

Don’t worry too much about the actual business plan yet, reality is it usually is never asked for until the due diligence phase.  If you’ve got everything else ready, now it’s time for…

How to Contact Investors by Email

Email Subject Line Intro

Some of the worse emails when someone does contact investors, is that “RE: Fundraising”.  Putting RE in front of your subject line does not guarantee it to be read.  If anything, it makes people ignore it.

The best advice is to probably put what you’re looking for in the subject line when you contact investors.  Like: Need fundraising advice, need an introduction, need a board advisor, etc.

1st Email to Investors

The general rule of thumb when you contact investors by email the first time is: if an investor can’t read your email is less than 10 seconds, then he probably won’t email back.  The longer your email is, the longer it takes someone to mentally process it, and it becomes easier for them to hit the delete button.  Also remember, attachments or links other than in your signature will probably NEVER get clicked.

One investor actually said the greatest email they ever got was “I’m busy.  You’re busy.  This what I have (described company in 3 words), this is what I need (dollar amount).  Want to talk?”   If you can fit it all in the subject line, do that.

Your Email Signature

Your signature when you contact investors is pretty important.  Have two quick links in it: one for you, one for your company.  Preferably your website, twitter, and/or LinkedIn account.  This does not go in the body of the email to investors, only your signature.

1st Response from Contacting an Investor

When your investor emails back after you contact him, he has probably very quickly already established your location, industry, and is now following you on Twitter.  He will either respond with a reason why you are not right for him, such as:

• I don’t invest in your industry.
  • You’re not in my stage.
  • Or an objection to your location.

Or, he will ask to hear more.

2nd Email to an Investor

If the investor you are contacting has said you’re not in his stage, and has not invited you to meet him at a function, then it probably won’t be worth pursuing.  The other two objections commonly heard, the investor probably won’t go around, so it is a certain no go.

If the investor has emailed you back though asking to hear more, either schedule that quick call or meeting, or send ONLY a one page summary, or short powerpoint (no more than 10 slides with little content).  Again, respond quickly.  NO LONG EMAILS.  KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

3rd Email to an Investor

If you’ve got a third email, or actual meeting, this is really good.  This is where he’s going to want to meet you in person, and/or see your financial projections, learn more about you, etc.  Just be yourself, and go make a deal happen.

And finally, here are some good over all tips for how to contact investors:

Make Your Investor’s Email Effortless

As with emailing any busy person (and investors are very busy people) if you’re trying to get in the door, you have to make it effortless for them.  Your “effortless reading” email is usually not their effortless email.  Save all the details.  You may think they need to know all the details of your brilliantly devised plan, but they really don’t until later.

Be Blunt

Being blunt is really important when you contact investors.  You need to know exactly what you want, how much you want, etc.  If you want an introduction, ask for an introduction.  If you want money, ask for money.

Stand Out

Like we talked about in the above point, all those emails investors get contacted with, all start to blend together after awhile.  And you may think your idea is very unique, but I guarantee you…investors have heard it before.  So, position yourself different.  Give it a different twist that makes someone say “that sounds really cool”.

Contacting Investors Is A Number Game

It’s like sales.  Most sales people that you’d talk to would tell you it’s a numbers game.  And it really is.  Even if you’re knocking doors.  You can literally count: 1 out of 10 will let you in their home.  1 out of 15 will let you do a demonstration.  1 out of 20 will buy.  Investing of course, it’s a much higher amount…so you’re going to have to knock alot more doors.  But if you target your investors (or in sales it would be potential customers), you’d decrease that number of doors.

Bottom line when you contact investors: be blunt, be persistent, remember investors are just people, and try to have fun with it so you don’t get bored.   Good luck out there.

*Caution* There is a lot of state & federal laws surrounding the issue of contacting investors.  If you are serious about fundraising, and have your referrals in hand…ready to send your first emails; it’s pretty wise to contact an attorney first.

27 Comments. Leave new

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

potjemetvetjes
February 11, 2018 1:35 pm

This is the suitable blog for anybody who wants to search out out about this topic. You realize so much its virtually hard to argue with you (not that I truly would need…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply great! http://www.potjemetvetjes.nl

I Will Draw Your Cartoon Portrait Just In 5$
February 11, 2018 2:27 pm

A formidable share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing just a little analysis on this. And he in reality bought me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If possible, as you develop into expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more particulars? It’s extremely helpful for me. Large thumb up for this blog publish!

I Will Do Unique Logo Design Just In 5$
February 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you However I’m experiencing problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting similar rss drawback? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

سریال شهرزاد
February 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Can I just say what a reduction to find someone who actually knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know learn how to carry a difficulty to light and make it important. Extra people must learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant imagine youre not more common since you undoubtedly have the gift.

Trips To Europe
February 11, 2018 8:12 pm

There are some interesting points in time in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There’s some validity but I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely https://westtentravel.co.uk/discover-europe/

You made some decent points there. I regarded on the internet for the difficulty and found most individuals will associate with along with your website. https://westtentravel.co.uk/discover-europe/

شهرزاد سوم
February 11, 2018 8:58 pm

سریال شهرزاد
February 11, 2018 9:52 pm

There are some attention-grabbing cut-off dates in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity however I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as well

orthodontist Miami Lakes
February 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I’d need to test with you here. Which is not one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from studying a put up that may make people think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

P2000 meldingen
February 13, 2018 12:37 am

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So good to seek out any individual with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this web site is one thing that’s wanted on the web, somebody with a little originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the web!

دانلود شهرزاد قسمت دوم
February 13, 2018 5:50 pm

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure good points in options also.

brujos de catemaco
February 15, 2018 7:17 am

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You’re amazing! Thanks!

Divorce Lawyer Pensacola Fl
February 15, 2018 7:43 am

Idell Schegetz
February 16, 2018 5:50 am

Outstanding website page. Thanks a ton for sharing with us.

Marvelous website! A great deal of help and advice, Regards.

February 17, 2018 10:13 am

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find any individual with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this website is something that is wanted on the internet, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing one thing new to the internet!

Thank you, I have just been looking for info approximately this topic for
a while and yours is the greatest I’ve found out till now.

But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure concerning
the supply?

February 17, 2018 3:38 pm

kostenlose youtube abonnenten
February 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Thank you, I have just been looking for info approximately this topic for
a while and yours is the greatest I’ve found out till now.

But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure concerning
the supply?

free youtube abos
February 17, 2018 4:56 pm

I know top Blog professionals would really like your blog. You have a good head on your shoulders. You always know just what to say. I truly appreciate this page. Neat post.

I am just starting to learn about all of this. Thanks!

P2000 brandweer