3 Rules to Startup Negotiations

How to negotiate your pre-money valuation and terms with a venture capitalist or angel investor.

The pre-money valuation and terms of your startup can be a touchy subject for many Entrepreneurs, VCs, and angel investors.  It always seems the Venture Capitalist wants a lower valuation at a higher term, the Entrepreneur wants a higher valuation with a lower term.

Why such the touchy subject with a pre-money valuation and terms?  With your first insitutional round, there really is no set amount, and there is no such thing as a 100% accurate pre-money valuation with a startup.  It’s all about  how much perceived risk your venture capitalist or angel investor anticipates.  Or rather, how much of that perceived risk you’ve eliminated.

Here are 3 simple, straightforward rules for negotiating with a venture capitalist:

1.  Get an Attorney for Negotiations!

We often think we can negotiate our startup’s pre-money valuation without an attorney.  An attorney will only cost you a few thousand dollars, but has the potential to save you millions should your startup become a success.

Any decision you make with your startup’s pre-money valuation, and the terms associated with your first institutional round, will affect every future round, money, control, taxes, and many other factors.

2.  Know the VC or Angel Investor

Always strive to learn more about the venture capitalist or angel investor prior to any pre-money valuation or term negotiations.  A few good questions to ask:

• What level of ROI does this investor want to achieve?
  • How long does this investor expect to hold this investment?
  • What growth percentage do they reasonably expect?
  • Is this investor active, mentor type, or inactive (cut the check and run)?

3.  Know what you want, and what your startup needs.

Before you begin any negotiation, whether it’s pre-money valuation or term negotiations, have a good idea of what you want; and what your startup needs.  Do you need someone to take control?  Someone has to.  Do you need guidance (mentor style investor)?  Mentorship is valuable to many first time Entrepreneurs (and is a much better approach then control).

Tips for starting off the pre-money valuation and terms negotiations…

Start by looking for areas of agreement your startup’s pre-money valuation and terms.  Don’t start off in an adverse position.  I always start with picking out the items of agreement.  I state why I agree with them.  It’s like saying “hey, this glass is half full (not half empty)…now let’s negotiate on how we can make it full”.

As a startup founder, or startup CEO, it’s important to be a fair and realistic negotiator.  Negotiations are never about trying to get the most, or the least…it’s about fairness.  Remain flexible, keep an open mind as to where your investor is coming from.

If he’s an angel investor, there’s probably alot of fear surrounding this investment.  It’s a big risk, but a potentially huge return.  This may be his retirement fund he’s pulled out of the stock market, because it’s just going down.  This could be his life savings.  Be respectful to your investor as a startup, they have just as much pain as you.

If your investor is a venture capitalist, he’s got a different set of worries.  He’s really worried about risk, returns, and numbers.  Venture Capitalists use OPM (other people’s money).  That means they have a flock of investors they have to please.  That’s a lot of pressure weighing on his shoulders during pre-money valuation and terms negotiations.

And investors, well..consider most Entrepreneurs have had to literally obsess over their startup just to make it to where they are.  When you put your life, your passion, all your time into something…it’s very hard not to take a personal approach to negotiations.  Work to understand your entrepreneur’s situation and attachment to their business.  There is no such thing as founder’s syndrome.  A founder can be the most obsessed person with their startup, but every founder has the same end goal: freedom.

13 Comments. Leave new

nipple vacuum
January 29, 2018 7:16 pm

Its hard to find good help

I am constantnly proclaiming that its difficult to find good help, but here is

cheap pandora charms jewelry sale
March 10, 2018 2:37 am

cheap pandora charms jewelry sale

Kennethapogy
April 7, 2018 3:59 am

ВСЕГО ОДНА КАПСУЛА В ДЕНЬ
и ты будешь заниматься сексом ежедневно по 2-3 часа!
В любом возрасте и без побочных эффектов

ОСТАЛОСЬ: 14 УПАКОВОК

Гарантирует мощную, устойчивую эрекцию в любом возрасте
Продлевает половой акт до 2-х часов
В 3 раза увеличивает количество спермы при эякуляции
Продлевает твой оргазм на 15-20 секунд

Сайт: https://eroctive2.blogspot.ru/

hospital furniture suppliers in dubai
April 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Informative and precise

Its hard to find informative and accurate information but here I found

iphone serial crack
May 12, 2018 1:02 am

Outstanding post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I too believe this s a very great website. hello@szifon.com

warez windows
May 12, 2018 6:05 am

I’m just commenting to let you know what a excellent discovery my cousin’s girl encountered going through your web site. She noticed several details, which include how it is like to possess an ideal coaching spirit to let others smoothly learn a number of grueling subject areas. You actually did more than visitors’ desires. Thank you for distributing these great, dependable, informative and unique tips on that topic to Tanya. hello@szifon.com

AWS Cloud Practitioner
May 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Yahoo results

While browsing Yahoo I found this page in the results and I didn’t think it fit

Empire Carpet
June 17, 2018 3:02 am

Major thanks for the article post.Really thank you! Cool.

Looking around

I like to look around the internet, often I will go to Digg and follow thru

Free Auto Approve List 6-25-2018
June 27, 2018 6:12 pm

I added a new list today. I changed how I scrape to get more results. Read my post for more details.

adidas ultra boost 3.0
July 9, 2018 5:00 pm

I intended to compose you that bit of observation to be able to give thanks as before for all the great secrets you’ve shown on this site. This has been so incredibly open-handed of people like you to offer without restraint precisely what some people would’ve distributed as an ebook to get some bucks for themselves, chiefly now that you might well have tried it if you ever considered necessary. The good ideas additionally worked like the good way to be certain that the rest have a similar eagerness much like mine to grasp somewhat more with regard to this problem. I am sure there are several more fun times in the future for people who browse through your blog post.

adidas ultra boost
July 14, 2018 1:39 am

I am also writing to let you understand of the awesome encounter my wife’s princess had going through yuor web blog. She learned too many issues, including what it is like to have a wonderful giving mood to get other people with ease master specific problematic matters. You really surpassed my desires. I appreciate you for displaying these practical, trustworthy, educational and even unique guidance on this topic to Mary.

Adidas NMD Runner Japan Triple Black Boost
July 16, 2018 5:56 pm

You need to take part in a contest for probably the greatest blogs on the web. I’ll recommend this site!